If your debilitating condition prevents you from working, speak to a Lexington MA disability lawyer about filing a long term disability (LTD) claim or, if your claim was denied, an appeal. Jonathan M. Feigenbaum has extensive knowledge and experience assisting clients with both their LTD claims and appeals. He can help you obtain the benefits you deserve.
What Is Long Term Disability Insurance?
Offered through your employment or privately purchased, LTD insurance covers a portion of your income if the following is true:
- You have become disabled (as defined by your policy),
- For an extended amount of time, and
- Your disability is a result of a condition or injury
Your Lexington MA disability lawyer can review your LTD insurance policy to determine your eligibility for benefits.
Applying for LTD Benefits
You should immediately begin the claims process for LTD benefits if:
- You cannot work due to your condition;
- Your condition was caused by an illness or injury; and,
- You waited, before filing the claim, your LTD policy’s required number of weeks — usually 26 weeks but could be anywhere between 10 to 53 weeks.
Because the claims process can be lengthy, you should apply as soon as eligible. Delays to receiving benefits include:
- Being required to provide supplemental benefits.
- If denied benefits, you may then choose to go through the appeal process.
Your Lexington MA disability lawyer can help you compile a thorough claims or appeals package, complete with your supporting evidence of both your disability and inability to work.
What Is the LTD Claims Process?
When you file your claim with the LTD insurance company, your Lexington MA disability lawyer will include with the application your supporting documentation. Your LTD insurer will then review your claims application and respond:
- Requesting for more information, or
The claims process may require numerous communications with your LTD insurer. Your Lexington MA disability lawyer can communicate and respond appropriately to the insurer on your behalf, decreasing the amount of possible delays.
Jonathan M. Feigenbaum Can Help
Jonathan M. Feignbaum can help you navigate the complex LTD claims process by doing the following:
- Gathering your medical and employment records;
- Seeking statements from your co-workers, friends and family with regards to both your restrictions and limitations;
- Communicating with your treating physicians to obtain your physician’s narrative. The narrative should include the following information: your diagnosis, prognosis, treatment history, and your limitations and restrictions;
- Getting your pay stubs; and
- Assisting you with filing your LTD claim.
If your LTD insurer requests for additional information, we have the means to obtain responsive information as well as supplement your claims application. If your claim is denied, we can help obtain supporting evidence to help you appeal the decision in addition to obtaining just compensation.
Settling Your Claim
If you are approved, you will receive a portion of your income. The benefits are generally 40 to 60% of your salary. Depending on your LTD policy, successful applicants receive benefits over a three-year period. You may, however, choose to settle your claim and receive the benefits in a lump sum. This option is available if you meet your policy’s age, type of disabling condition and prognosis requirements. A Lexington MA disability lawyer can assess your circumstances, as well as help you determine which option is best for you.
Talk to a Lexington MA Disability Lawyer Today
If you are thinking of filing for LTD benefits, or if you wish to appeal a denied claim for LTD benefits, contact a Lexington MA disability lawyer with Jonathan M. Feigenbaum, Esquire. He will review your situation, educate you on your rights and help you throughout the claims or appeals process. Call 866-876-4856 today.